Home » Page 472
Categorieslatest

Longueuil police investigating cases that may be linked to ‘suicide kits’ suspect

The news was first reported Thursday by CBC News. It is the first confirmation that Law is being investigated for allegedly causing deaths in Quebec. He is alleged to have sold sodium nitrite online to vulnerable people across Canada and in more than 40 countries. The substance can cause death when consumed in high doses. In April last year, The Times newspaper in London, England published a story alleging Law was linked to the poisoning deaths of seven people, including four in the United Kingdom. A Times reporter who posed undercover as a buyer reported that Law told him he had sent the poison to hundreds of people in Britain and that he was doing “God’s work.” Law allegedly told the undercover reporter he started his mail-order business after seeing his mother suffer following a stroke. Weeks after the report in The Times was published, Law, a resident of Mississauga, was arrested by the Peel Regional Police and charged with two counts of counselling or aiding suicide. Those initial charges were related to two deaths in Ontario. Months later in August, 12 additional charges of counselling or aiding suicide were filed against Law. On Dec. 11, 2023, 14 counts of second-degree murder were also filed against Law. Those charges were upgraded to first-degree murder earlier this year. In September, the Montreal police announced that it had launched an investigation “relating to kits containing sodium nitrite which were allegedly sent by mail to Montreal recipients by (Law who is) currently facing criminal charges Ontario. “Some of the kits prepared by Law were allegedly sent to people living in Montreal.” According to Peel Regional Police, the names of the following companies may appear on the kits that were shipped: Academic/ACademic, Escape Mode/escMode, Imtime Cuisine, AmbuCA and ICemac.

Categorieslatest

Diplomatic Summit Unites Regional Leaders in Pursuit of Middle East Peace – The Frontier Post

FP Report CAIRO: Secretary Blinken recently announced his participation in a crucial diplomatic summit, where leaders from across the region convened to discuss the pursuit of enduring peace in the Middle East. Bringing together representatives from Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and the Palestinian Authority, the summit marked a concerted effort to forge a path toward stability and reconciliation amidst longstanding regional tensions. Amidst the backdrop of heightened geopolitical complexities and longstanding conflicts, the gathering symbolized a commitment to dialogue and collaboration as the cornerstone for fostering lasting peace. With each participant bringing their unique perspectives and interests to the table, the summit served as a testament to the collective recognition of the imperative to transcend differences and pursue common ground in pursuit of a more peaceful and prosperous future for the region.

Categorieslatest

Prince Harry says tabloids intercepted phone calls of mother, the late Princess Diana, and father

By BRIAN MELLEY (Associated Press) LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry alleged Thursday that the publisher of The Sun tabloid unlawfully intercepted phone calls of his late mother, Princess Diana, and father, now King Charles III, as he sought to expand his privacy invasion lawsuit against News Group Newspapers. The Duke of Sussex is seeking permission during a three-day hearing in the High Court to allow the new claims to be added to his ongoing litigation after evidence surfaced largely through materials turned over by NGN, a subsidiary of the media empire built by Rupert Murdoch, his lawyer said. Attorney David Sherborne said that the eavesdropping on Diana, her then-estranged husband, Charles, Prince of Wales at the time, and his then paramour, Camilla Parker Bowles, who is now Queen Camilla, inevitably revealed private information about Harry as early as age 9. Diana was suspicious she was being followed and her calls were being listened to, the amended complaint said. Articles in The Sun and now-defunct News of the World referred to conversations Diana had with close confidants and show that journalists and paparazzi had inside knowledge where she was going to be, including her therapy sessions. “The defendant’s newspapers described his late mother’s concerns as ’paranoid delusions,’ when the true position was that she was under close surveillance and her calls were being unlawfully intercepted by (NGN), which was known about by its editors and senior executives,” Sherborne said in court papers. The new claims in Harry’s case follow allegations his lawyer raised Wednesday in the High Court that implicated Murdoch for taking part in the cover-up of unlawful information gathering at his newspapers or that he had “at the very least turned a blind eye” to it. Harry is one of 45 claimants, including actor Hugh Grant and filmmaker Guy Ritchie, alleging that between 1994 and 2016 News Group journalists violated their privacy through widespread unlawful activity that included intercepting voicemails, tapping phones, bugging cars and using deception to access confidential information. The claims also allege that executives lied about the wrongdoing and oversaw an effort to delete millions of emails and “buy” the silence of those who might tell the truth about what occurred. Defense lawyer Anthony Hudson, who said the new allegations “appear to be designed to grab headlines,” said Harry waited too long to bring the new claims. He also said the prince hadn’t followed court procedure for doing so and that the new allegations were a distraction from issues in the case that is tentatively scheduled for trial in January. NGN issued a statement Wednesday saying that the new allegations amounted to “unjustified inferences in a scurrilous and cynical attack” on former journalists, staff and senior executives at News International, now News UK, the parent of NGN. Judge Timothy Fancourt, who is expected to rule later on the application to amend the lawsuit, previously rejected News Group’s efforts to toss out the case on the grounds that it was brought beyond the six-year limitation period. But the judge did side with the newspaper in ruling that Harry and Grant could not pursue claims that journalists had eavesdropped on their voicemails because news of the so-called phone hacking scandal was so widespread they should have had knowledge of the activity to file lawsuits within the deadline. Harry’s lawsuit against News Group Newspapers is one of three he’s brought against Britain’s biggest tabloids over alleged unlawful activity carried out by journalists and private investigators they hired that came to light after a phone hacking scandal erupted at News of the World in 2011. Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has used the courts in his crusade against the press that is the source of a host of personal grievances. He blames the news media for the death of his mother, who was killed in a car wreck while being pursued by paparazzi. He also said unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes of the British media were one of the reasons he and his biracial wife, former actor Meghan Markle, moved to the U.S. His new claims include allegations The Sun hired a private investigator to dig up personal information on Meghan, including her Social Security number, mobile phone number and details about her family. In December, Harry’s legal efforts paid off when Fancourt found phone hacking at Mirror Group Newspapers was “widespread and habitual.” In addition to a court judgment, he recently settled remaining allegations that included his legal fees. The total sum wasn’t announced, but he was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($508,000). He has another case pending against the owner of the Daily Mail. ___ Find more of AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/royalty

Categorieslatest

Middle East oil policies no longer dictated by US — Russian intel chief

MOSCOW, March 21. /TASS/. Washington will no longer be able to dictate oil prices in the Middle East, Director of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Chief Sergey Naryshkin said in the documentary “Oil” on the Premier online platform. “The ‘hegemon’ has lost a step. It is no longer able to prompt Middle East countries to move in line with the interests of the United States of America in their policy as regards oil production,” Naryshkin said. The US cannot dictate prices, although they would like to. “[They] cannot because the world is becoming a multipolar one,” Naryshkin noted. “This multipolarity is expressed in particular in the existence of the group of countries known as OPEC+,” he said. OPEC+ is a cornerstone institution, the Russian intelligence chief said. “This is a wholesale trend that will definitely evolve, particularly as regards exploiting and using such wealth that humankind has, which is called oil,” he concluded.

Categorieslatest

Falkirk MP welcomes report saying Waspi women should get compensation over pension age changes

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman report has asked Parliament to intervene and “act swiftly” to make sure a compensation scheme is established. It comes after years of campaigning and legal challenges over how the retirement age for women was brought into line with men. From 1948 until 2010, the state pension age was 60 for women and 65 for men. But a law passed in 1995 said the women’s pension age would increase to 65 between 2010 and 2020 – later accelerated to 2018. Campaigners from Women Against State Pension Inequality (Waspi) say some women born in the 1950s were not aware of the changes to the retirement age. They have long argued many were plunged into poverty as they struggled to find work due to their age. Falkirk MP John McNally has supported the Waspi campaigners throughout his time in Westminster. Today he said: “At last, millions of women financially hurt by the UK Government state pension disaster are close to justice. “I have long supported our campaigning Waspi women, short-changed by the Tories after a disastrous implementation of the pension age rise. “These women have been struggling for years so I welcome the ombudsman report which finds ‘failings by the DWP’ and has rightly ruled that compensation is owed.” The ombudsman said that, to date, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has not acknowledged its failings, nor put things right for those affected. It is estimated around 2.6 million women were affected by the change in the pension age, and the PHSO report suggests the payouts they should receive range between £1000 and £2950. If everyone got the upper end of that, the government would face a bill of up to £7.7billion. However, campaigners, and some MPs, say the figure should be around £10,000 per woman. In addition to paying compensation, the ombudsman made it clear the DWP should acknowledge its failings and apologise for the impact it has had on complainants and others similarly affected. A DWP spokesman said: “We will consider the ombudsman’s report and respond in due course, having co-operated fully throughout this investigation.”

Categorieslatest

Leicester City charged by Premier League over breach of financial rules

Leicester City have been charged by the Premier League and referred to an independent commission over an alleged breach of financial rules during the 2022-23 season. The Premier League claims Leicester, who were relegated to the Championship at the end of the campaign, failed to submit their audited financial accounts. “Leicester City were relegated to the EFL Championship prior to the introduction of the Premier League’s new Standard Directions, which prescribe a timeline within which PSR cases should be heard,” the league said. “Therefore, the proceedings will be conducted in accordance with a timetable to be set by the independent commission, and its final decision will be published on the Premier League’s website.” Leicester are second in the Championship, equal on points with leaders Leeds United, as they chase promotion back to the Premier League. more to follow…

Categorieslatest

Dancing On Ice star Amber Davies suffers nasty accident as she returns to Pretty Woman tour

Amber Davies has revealed she was forced to pull out of a performance of musical Pretty Woman mid-show after sustaining a nasty injury. The actress, 27, who plays lead character Vivian Ward, recently returned to the touring production of the musical adaptation of the 1990 Hollywood film starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere, following her stint on ITV’s Dancing On Ice, where she finished in fifth place. Taking to Instagram Stories on Wednesday, she explained that she had accidentally walked into a door and cut her forehead, which resulted in her having to be replaced by her understudy for the rest of the performance. Showing off her injury, she told her 1.3m followers: “Trigger warning if you don’t like blood… Guys, this is for anyone who came to watch Pretty Woman in Milton Keynes this afternoon. I’m so so sorry I had to go off mid-show because I had a little accident in the interval, you couldn’t write it. “I literally just walked into the door. I opened the door with my head down and I was going quite fast and it just hit me right in the head so I had to come off mid-show and I’m not doing tonight either because it is still bleeding a little bit. But hopefully by tomorrow night I’ll be back on with a plaster over it and I can just hide it with some foundation.” Noting the irony of not being injured in the ten weeks that she took part in Dancing On Ice, but suffering badly on the stage, she added: “You couldn’t write it could you. I go on Dancing On Ice for two and a half months, I do the head banger, I do all the lifts, I’m on two blades on the ice and it’s a door that takes me out.” In a follow-up post, Davies expressed her hopes to be back in the show on Friday. She said: “A recovery day. Cuts been cleaned this morning and re dressed by my wonderful GP. Still very much an open cut but hopefully I’ll be back on stage by tomorrow!”

Categorieslatest

Sinitta warns Louis Walsh ‘I need to tell you’ as she enters Celeb Big Brother house

80s pop legend Sinitta visits the Celebrity Big Brother house to chat with Louis Walsh during Thursday night’s episode. In a shockingly tense conversation, Sinitta tells the former X Factor judge: “I need to tell you a few home truths baby…” It seems like Sinitta is ready to let Louis know what people outside think of his constant celeb-bashing. Big Brother announced the new arrivals in upcoming scenes, saying: “This is Big Brother. Housemates, your time in the Celebrity Big Brother house has nearly come to an end. “The past three weeks have seen you jockey for position in horse racing, enforce law and order at Big Brother’s police department, have your day in court and face a fairytale ending. But now it’s time for you to receive the ultimate reward. Big Brother will call one Housemate at a time to make their way to the rendezvous.” Read more Kate Middleton’s daily diet – what the Princess eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner During his time in the house, Louis has made many shocking comments about the celebrities he’s worked with or met. He not only called Jedward “vile”, but also criticised his The X Factor co-star Simon Cowell – and Sinitta’s former flame – for his backstabbing move during his time as a judge on the show. Louis also had a go at Ronan Keating, who he used to look after in the band Boyzone and later when Ronan was on his own. When they played Ronan’s song “Life Is A Rollercoaster” in the Big Brother house, Louis said: “Great song,” but then he said not-so-nice things about Ronan, adding: “He was such a pr***.” This week, Louis found someone else to talk about, and it was Sir Bob Geldof. The people in the house were asking Louis what he thought about some songs, and when actor Colson Smith from Coronation Street said, “Bob Geldof wrote I don’t like Mondays,” Louis got it mixed up with Prince, reports the Mirror. Marisha Wallace said, “Prince wrote so many songs,” and Louis agreed: “Yeah, he did.” Zeze Millz noticed that Louis might not like Bob Geldof and asked him, “I take it you’re not a Bob Geldof fan, Louis?” Louis didn’t hold back and said: “Well, I think he’s full of s**t, he’s from Dublin. I know little bits. The Boomtown Rats were good.” But when Marisha said sorry if Sir Bob was watching, Louis didn’t care and said: “I don’t give a f**k.” We wonder if Sinitta will come into the CBB house to tell Louis off?

Verified by MonsterInsights