Jay Slater’s friends make heartbreaking choice as Tenerife search mystery deepens

0
2
webnexttech | Jay Slater's friends make heartbreaking choice as Tenerife search mystery deepens
0 0 votes
Article Rating

Two of Jay Slater’s closest mates have left Tenerife and jetted back to the UK as the mystery surrounding the teenager’s disappearance persists. It’s been over three weeks since 19-year-old Jay was last seen on the island of Tenerife on June 17. He had been on holiday with friends Lucy Law, 18, and Brad Hargreaves, 19, and was last spotted partying at Papagayo nightclub in Playa de las Americas the night before he vanished.

Both pals have now left the Spanish holiday destination and are back on British turf. Lucy is reported to have returned to the UK last week, while Brad came back this past Sunday, accompanied by his mum Rachel, who is actively participating in the search for Jay through a Facebook page she runs. Currently, the Hargreaves family have chosen not to issue any statements.

READ MORE: New Jay Slater clue discovered by expert in Tenerife search for missing teen READ MORE: Police issue major Jay Slater update in Tenerife after getting new leads

Meanwhile, as the search efforts persist in Tenerife, several heartless armchair detectives continue to share their own theories about Jay’s disappearance online, with some callously questioning Lucy’s version of events on the day he disappeared, reports the Manchester Evening News. According to 18-year-old Lucy, she was the last known person to speak to Jay, who told her he was lost, thirsty and had 1% phone battery, before disappearing without a trace in Tenerife. However, despite the police accepting this account, many trolls online did not, with several taking to social media to criticise and harass the teenager. Lucy temporarily deactivated her Facebook account, but earlier this week, after returning to the UK, reappeared on social media, The Daily Star reported.

She shared an cryptic message on Instagram, posting a selfie with Jay that included a crying emoji and a blue love heart. This post has since been deleted.

Meanwhile, as his friends have come back, Jay’s uncle, Glen Duncan, noted for his outspoken views on the search effort, is also now believed to be back in the UK. Speaking from Santiago del Teide, he had previously shared with Sky News his frustration and the family’s “despair”, yet still holding out hope for finding the teen, according to a report by the Mirror. He said, “So far we’ve just been in touch with the British consulate out here who have been saying it’s still a live investigation, we have just got to sit tight,” adding, “It’s just adding to the despair really.”

Jay Slater vanished following a rave in Tenerife and spent the night at an Airbnb in a secluded village along with two other British nationals. It was his maiden journey overseas. The last communication from Jay was on Monday, June 17, while he was attempting to get back to Los Christianos, where he was holidaying with his mates Lucy and Brad.

For the latest Welsh news delivered to your inbox sign up to our newsletter What is the latest in the search for Jay Slater? On Tuesday, authorities confirmed that they are still investigating multiple leads in the case of Jay’s disappearance, despite rumours suggesting he is ‘missing feared dead’. A Civil Guard spokesperson said: “The investigation is ongoing and several lines of inquiry are being pursued.”

In a heartwarming display of community spirit, the Mirror reported that a mountaineering mayor has joined the search for the missing 19-year-old. Shane Yerrell, along with Jay’s father Warren, 58, brother Zak, 24, and other family members and friends, searched the area where Jay was last seen over the weekend. Yerrell has pledged to continue supporting Jay’s family, including his distraught mother Debbie, 55, and plans to return to the island to assist in the search.

Shane, who is the mayor of Waltham Abbey in Essex and an experienced mountaineer with climbs such as Kilimanjaro and Mount Olympus to his name, expressed his sorrow, saying: “They’re just living on hope. It’s awful – they’ve got no answers. They don’t know whether Jay is alive or dead.” Shane, 40, who has helped several families in distress since 2011 and raised nearly £200,000 for those in need, flew over 2,000 miles to Tenerife last Thursday to assist Jay’s family.

When asked if Jay’s parents still hold out hope for his survival, Shane confirmed: “Of course. I would be exactly the same. Until you know for sure..” Despite no sightings of the teenager, missing persons expert Charlie Hedges has offered the family some hope, suggesting that Jay could still be alive if he has managed to survive on rainwater and plants. This reassurance comes after army reservist Juan Garcia

0 0 votes
Article Rating
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments