Jay Slater’s friends Lucy Law and Brad Hargreaves quit Tenerife search and fly home to UK

0
4
webnexttech | Jay Slater's friends Lucy Law and Brad Hargreaves quit Tenerife search and fly home to UK
0 0 votes
Article Rating

Two of Jay Slater’s closest friends have left Tenerife and flown home to the UK as the mystery surrounding the teenager’s disappearance continues. It has been over three weeks since 19-year-old Jay was last spotted on the island of Tenerife on June 17. He had been enjoying a holiday with pals Lucy Law, 18, and Brad Hargreaves, 19, and was last seen partying at Papagayo nightclub in Playa de las Americas on the night before he went missing. Both friends have now departed from the Spanish holiday spot and are back on British soil. Lucy is said to have made her way back to the UK last week, while Brad returned this past Sunday, alongside his mother Rachel, who is actively involved in the search for Jay through a Facebook page she manages. At present, the Hargreaves family have chosen not to make any statements.

Meanwhile, as search efforts continue in Tenerife, several cruel armchair detectives have continued to share their own theories about Jay’s disappearance online, with several heartlessly calling into question his pal Lucy’s account of what happened the day he went missing.

According to the 18-year-old, Lucy was the last known person to speak to Jay who told her he was lost, thirsty and had 1% phone battery, before vanishing without trace in Tenerife. However, despite the police accepting this story, many trolls online did not, with several taking to social media to criticise and hound the teenager. As a result, Lucy went on to deactivate her facebook account, but earlier this week she did make a brief return to social media following her return to the UK, reports The Daily Star.

Taking to Instagram, Lucy posted a cryptic message which fuelled more mystery among those following the case closely, as she uploaded a selfie of her and Jay along with a crying emoji and a blue love heart. However, this post has since been removed.

Amid the return of his friends, Jay’s uncle, Glen Duncan, who has expressed disappointment with the efforts to find his nephew, is also believed to have flown back to the UK on Tuesday. In a previous statement to Sky News from Santiago del Teide, a rural town, he conveyed the family’s “despair” yet affirmed their continued hope to locate the missing teen, reports the Mirror.

“So far we’ve just been in touch with the British consulate out here who have been saying it’s still a live investigation, we have just got to sit tight,” he commented. “It’s just adding to the despair really.”

Jay Slater, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, disappeared after leaving a rave in Tenerife with two British men and spending the night at an Airbnb in a remote village. It was his first trip abroad. Jay was last in contact on Monday, June 17, trying to return to Los Christianos, where he was holidaying with friends Lucy and Brad.

What’s the latest on the search for Jay Slater? Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that multiple avenues are still being explored in the investigation into Jay’s disappearance, despite rumours suggesting he is ‘missing feared dead’. When questioned about progress in the case, a Civil Guard spokesperson stated: “The investigation is ongoing and several lines of inquiry are being pursued.” In a heartening show of community support, the Mirror reported that a mountaineering mayor has joined the efforts to find the 19-year-old.

Shane Yerrell, alongside Jay’s father Warren, 58, brother Zak, 24, and other relatives and friends, scoured the area where Jay was last seen over the weekend. Yerrell is committed to continuing his support for Jay’s family, including his distraught mother Debbie, 55, and plans to return to the island to aid the search. Shane, the mayor of Waltham Abbey in Essex and a veteran mountaineer with past conquests such as Kilimanjaro and Mount Olympus under his belt, expressed lament, saying: “They’re just living on hope. It’s awful – they’ve got no answers. They don’t know whether Jay is alive or dead.”

When asked if Jay’s parents still nurture hopes of his survival, Shane confirmed: “Of course. I would be exactly the same. Until you know for sure…” The 40-year-old altruistic Shane flew over 2,000 miles from his home in Essex to Tenerife last Thursday after getting in touch with Jay’s family and offering his assistance, which was readily accepted. Since 2011, Shane has been instrumental in aiding several families in distress and has managed to raise nearly £200,000 to assist those in need.

Despite the lack of any sightings of the teen, one missing persons expert, Charlie Hedges, has still offered the family a glimmer of hope. Charlie advised that not all is lost

0 0 votes
Article Rating
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments