Home » 2024 » 05 » 10
Categorieslatest

Two parties’ elections hopes dashed, limited participation for a third after ConCourt ruling

The elections will proceed without the Labour Party and the Afrikan Association of Social Democrats following a Constitutional Court ruling. (Darren Stewart/Gallo Images) Three political parties’ bids to secure another opportunity to register candidates for the elections – a move that could have led to the postponement of the polls – has been dismissed in the Constitutional Court.The effect of the dismissal is that Joseph Mathunjwa’s Labour Party and the Afrikan Alliance of Social Democrats (AASD) will not be able to participate in the elections at all.The African Congress for Transformation (ACT) – the party of corruption-accused former ANC secretary-general and Free State premier Ace Magashule – will only be able to participate in the regions where it managed to submit candidate lists on time. Read this for free South Africans need to be in the know if we want to create a prosperous future. News24 has kept the country informed for 25 years, and we’re about to enter a new chapter of fearless journalism. Join our free subscription trial to unlock this story and a world of news aimed to inform, empower, and inspire. Already a subscriber? Sign in Read more on:ace magashuleconstitutional courtelections 2024politics heading description username

Categorieslatest

George building collapse ‘a national calamity’, says Phaahla as death toll rises to 12

The George Municipality said “big earth-moving machinery” arrived from Cape Town on Thursday night to aid rubble-removal efforts. (Marvin Charles/News24) The massive search and rescue operation at the collapsed building construction site in George has reached 95 hours, and authorities are racing against time.On Friday, the Western Cape provincial government confirmed the death toll had risen to 12 after three more bodies were retrieved from under the rubble in the morning. “There are 41 unaccounted for, 40 people have been rescued, and unfortunately 12 are deceased,” said MEC for local government Anton Bredell. Read this for free South Africans need to be in the know if we want to create a prosperous future. News24 has kept the country informed for 25 years, and we’re about to enter a new chapter of fearless journalism. Join our free subscription trial to unlock this story and a world of news aimed to inform, empower, and inspire. Already a subscriber? Sign in Read more on:anton bredelljoe phaahlacolin deinergeorgewestern capegeorge building collapse heading description username

Categorieslatest

Moreeng steps down as Proteas women’s coach, Du Preez takes over on interim basis

Cricket South Africa on Friday parted ways with long-serving Proteas women’s coach Hilton Moreeng.Moreeng had been at helm of the SA women since 2013.Assistant coach Dillon du Preez will take over the reins in the interim.For more on the Proteas, visit News24’s dedicated section. Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Friday announced the departure of long-serving Proteas women’s coach Hilton Moreeng. Moreeng has been at the helm of the Proteas women’s side since 2013 and at the heart of the team’s success over the last decade. The 46-year-old’s contract was extended until the conclusion of the 2023/24 season, which ended with a disappointing 2-1 T20I series home defeat and 1-1 ODI draw against Sri Lanka. “Coaching at the international level has been an extraordinary journey filled with countless memorable moments and achievements. These experiences will forever hold a special place in my heart,” said Moreeng in a statement. Assistant coach Dillon du Preez will take over the reins in the interim before a new head coach is appointed. Director of Cricket Enoch Nkwe says that “the process of recruiting for a new coach is already underway” as he backs Du Preez to continue to hold the standards. The Proteas will be in action in an all-format tour against India in India from 16 June to 7 July. The Proteas are preparing for the Women’s T20 World Cup set to be held in Bangladesh (3-20 October). READ | Proteas set to kick off Women’s T20 World Cup against England in Bangladesh Laura Wolvaardt’s charges are drawn in Group B alongside the hosts Bangladesh, England, West Indies and Scotland, with their campaign starting against England on 3 October in Dhaka. The Proteas women will be in action at home in November when they host England in an all-format tour.

Categorieslatest

Stormers tour: Herschel’s chance to nose back toward Bok favour

Stormers scrumhalf Herschel Jantjies. (Ashley Vlotman/Gallo Images) It’s been a tough old time for Herschel Jantjies in terms of his Test career … in short, it’s stalled.The Springboks, squad-wise, went famously scrumhalf-heavy and flyhalf-light at the outset of their successful defence of the World Cup crown in France late last year.Yes, Handre Pollard made a timely, influential return to beef the pivot stocks after the campaign had begun, but the Boks nevertheless bucked trends (Rassie Erasmus? Never!) by carrying as many as four specialist “nines” in their ranks throughout. Read this for free South Africans need to be in the know if we want to create a prosperous future. News24 has kept the country informed for 25 years, and we’re about to enter a new chapter of fearless journalism. Join our free subscription trial to unlock this story and a world of news aimed to inform, empower, and inspire. Already a subscriber? Sign in Read more on:stormersurcherschel jantjiescape townrugby heading description username

Categorieslatest

Lindiwe Zulu wants NPOs to continue facilitating adoptions, Gauteng social development dept differs

Minister of Social Development Lindiwe Zulu. (Jeffrey Abrahams/Gallo Images) Social development minister Lindiwe Zulu says the government does not have the capacity to take over adoption services – a view that’s in contrast with the direction Gauteng’s social development department is taking.This week, GroundUp reported that the Gauteng department was forging ahead with plans to take over adoption services from non-profit organisations (NPOs). This despite a 2022 Gauteng High Court ruling that the conduct of the department’s social workers was “unlawful” and that the national adoption guidelines were unconstitutional. Read this for free South Africans need to be in the know if we want to create a prosperous future. News24 has kept the country informed for 25 years, and we’re about to enter a new chapter of fearless journalism. Join our free subscription trial to unlock this story and a world of news aimed to inform, empower, and inspire. Already a subscriber? Sign in Read more on:department of social developmentlindiwe zulugauteng heading description username

Categorieslatest

City of Tshwane relocates hundreds of residents from Pretoria West informal settlement

Tshwane Human Settlements MMC Ofentse Madzebatela outlined the City’s plans to address Gomora residents’ service delivery challenges. (@tshwane_mayor/X formerly Twitter) The City of Tshwane is in the process of relocating hundreds of households in Gomora informal settlement in Pretoria West, which has a history of violent service delivery protests.On Thursday, Tshwane Human Settlements MMC Ofentse Madzebatela outlined the City’s plans to address Gomora residents’ housing, water and sanitation challenges.”To address the housing challenges in Gomora and surrounding areas, we began with a relocation of 440 households to Booysens Ext 4,” Madzebatela said in a statement. Read this for free South Africans need to be in the know if we want to create a prosperous future. News24 has kept the country informed for 25 years, and we’re about to enter a new chapter of fearless journalism. Join our free subscription trial to unlock this story and a world of news aimed to inform, empower, and inspire. Already a subscriber? Sign in Read more on:city of tshwanepretoriagautengservice deliveryhousingprotests heading description username

Categorieslatest

DC flyover: Dozens of vintage planes to soar over National Mall

If you’re in downtown D.C. on Saturday afternoon, look up. Dozens of vintage planes are scheduled to fly over the National Mall starting at about noon. The National Celebration of General Aviation D.C. Flyover will bring over 50 vintage planes from as early as 1939 over the Mall. The planes are set to take off from Frederick Municipal Airport late Saturday morning and fly along the Potomac River and east over the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument. “We will tell the story of what general aviation does for this great country,” Mike Ginter of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association said live on News4 early Friday at Frederick Municipal Airport. General aviation refers to every plane in the U.S. minus military planes and airliners, Ginter explained. That includes planes used to fight forest fires, conduct medical evacuations and train airline pilots. “We are celebrating 85 years of what general aviation has brought to this country,” Ginter said. Go here for more information on the flyover.

Categorieslatest

‘Let us in!’ Howard U. nursing graduation cut off after venue reaches capacity

A graduation ceremony for nursing students at Howard University ended abruptly Thursday after the auditorium reached capacity. Families filled Cramton Auditorium to watch students in the College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences walk across the stage. But as they walked, dozens of loved were locked out just outside of the lobby, with some trying to push their way in. “Let us in! Let us in!” some chanted. “While they were doing the keynote speaker, there was, like, loud banging, even before that, for like 10 minutes straight,” graduate Bria Flowers said. “Just like boom, boom, boom, boom, boom.” “Because of the size of the room and because our relatives sometimes do not know how to act, the fire department is now here to shut us down,” Dr. Gina S. Brown, dean of the College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, told the crowd to a chorus of boos. But D.C. Fire and EMS denied shutting down the ceremony. “D.C. Fire and EMS did not shut down tonight’s event,” the department said in a statement. “At 6:42 p.m., we responded to the Cramton Auditorium for a medical local at the request of campus police. The patient was evaluated and refused transport, and D.C. Fire and EMS departed.” “I’m confused why it got so crazy, how it got so quick, so bad so fast,” graduate Kiana Hamilton said. A glass door broke during the commotion. “Glass started getting broken,” graduate Halle Ragoonanan. “One of my classmate’s hands got cut.” Howard said security removed someone from the building prior to the ceremony. That person returned and broke a window. “This incident led to a disturbance among guests outside of the facility, resulting in a disruption of the program,” Howard’s statement said. “Guests in attendance were immediately dispersed following this incident.” One student was treated for a cut. Ragoonanan said her heart was broken as she and her family looked to make up for moments they missed because of the pandemic. “I didn’t even get to walk,” she lamented. “I didn’t get to walk. I graduated magna cum laude and I didn’t even get to walk. I’m the class of 2020. I didn’t get to walk for my high school graduation and I didn’t get to walk for my college graduation.” “All the money we spent,” another graduate said. “My father and grandmother came down from North Carolina.” Some of those students will get to walk this weekend. The university’s main commencement ceremony is scheduled for Saturday. The school plans to give individual awards to students Friday.

Categorieslatest

‘Senior assassin’ game spurs Montgomery County 911 calls and concerns about real shootings

Police dispatch recordings in Montgomery County capture call after call from people worried that a water pellet gun used in a game popular with high school seniors is a real gun. “We’re getting a call from a dad of a student at Watkins Mill High School who just picked up his daughter. He said he saw five subjects fighting in the parking lot. He said one possibly had a gun,” someone says on one call. “I’m on the scene in the parking lot. Also, I know a lot of kids have been playing that senior assassin game all week at the school,” someone replies. On another call, officers were sent on a priority call to a McDonald’s on Darnestown Road. “There’s teenagers in the parking lot. They’re shooting projectiles that hit the caller in the back four or five minutes ago. Unknown weapon,” someone says. “This is the game the kids are playing with the Orbeez Gelbees. Is this still a priority?” someone replies. The call referenced a type of recreational gun that fires pellets with enough force to dent a car. Some stores can’t keep the popular products in stock. They’re the weapon of choice in what’s called the senior assassin game. It’s meant to be a tradition for seniors in which two or more high schoolers use the pellet guns to “eliminate” their targets, usually off school grounds. Many of the pellet guns come in bright colors. But some look more like real guns. Montgomery County police say they’re worried someone could get seriously hurt, or worse. “Some of them look like a real handgun. A lot of them look like a toy gun. But in today’s world, we have gun manufacturers customizing guns so they don’t necessarily look like a traditional gun either,” Cmdr. Eric Stancliff said. “The fear is we’re going to have a bad incident where someone gets shot as a result of kids playing a game.” Some high school principals have sent home emails asking parents to talk to their kids about the game and whether the fun is worth the risk.

Categorieslatest

RFK Jr. supports allowing abortions ‘Even if it’s full term’

During an appearance on the “Sage Steele Podcast,” independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. indicated that he believes women should have the option to get an abortion at any point during a pregnancy. Kennedy characterized abortion as a “tragedy,” adding that “many of them leave permanent trauma on the woman.” “Even if it’s full-term.” He advocated for doing “everything we can” to ensure that women who want to have their baby do not have to be afraid of the being unable to afford the child. Kennedy’s campaign site has a policy plan that would involve government paying for child care costs, including by offering payments to parents who choose to stay at home to care for their children. “The centerpiece of More Choices, More Life is a massive subsidized daycare initiative. We will safeguard women’s reproductive rights while redirecting the funds being spent on the war in Ukraine to subsidize community- and home-based daycares, along with stay-at-home parents,” the website states. “These payments will not be available to corporate daycare chains or the hedge funds that own them. They will fund only single-location small businesses — as well as parents who decide to stay home with their children.” Kennedy told Steele that he doesn’t think any women set out with the intent to wait until they’re eight months pregnant and then get an abortion. While he described the idea that “the state has a interest in protecting a fully formed fetus” as a “very convincing” and “compelling argument,” he said that he does not trust the government and believes the pregnant woman should be trusted. Kennedy said in his view, the issue should be up to the woman and government should not be involved. “Even if it’s full-term?” Steele asked. “Even if it’s full-term,” Kennedy replied. Kennedy claimed that there “are always … extenuating circumstances that would make a mother make that kind of choice, a terrible, terrible choice … you can’t overstate how bad that is.” Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Verified by MonsterInsights